Monday, June 20, 2011

Ragnar 2011

It's over! I feel a little relieved, a little tired, and very grateful for the opportunity to run in such a fun race. Team 'Why Not' crossed the line Saturday, just after 1 p.m., some 28 hours after we began the long journey from Logan to Park City. Our team consisted of several moms, dads, and a few college kids, brought together by a common love for running.

The Ragnar relay isn't so much of a race, as it is a big party. A parade of 13,000 people streamed through small towns and canyon roads, hooting and hollering the whole way. I was stunned by the number of vans and runners involved in the race, each one decorated in some sort of outrageous fashion. At any given point along the route, there would be an uninterrupted stream of runners for upwards of 3 hours! Along the way there were 36 exchanges, where the baton would be passed from one runner to the next. Each of the major exchanges had dozens of tents and vendors, bringing a festival-like atmosphere to the race.
I ran three different legs, separated by about seven hours each. My first leg was a 3.4 run that wound through the Ogden Valley, which consists of small farms, rolling, green hills, and snow-capped peaks. It may just be the prettiest place in Utah! Here are some cell phone shots...



My second leg took place at 1 a.m., in a mountain pass just south of Oakley. I have to admit, it was probably the best run of my life. With a full moon shining above, I ran seven fast miles, picking off 62 runners as I went along (we had a game going). The combination of running in the dark, the cool temps, and silence made the run feel very tranquil. If you get the chance to run late at night, do it!

After one hour of sleep and lots of driving, the sun peered over the mountains and it was time to run my final leg in the Heber Valley. It was a nice 5 mile run through farm country, and I savored every step. After I finished my final leg, my teammates ran 3,000 ft up Guardsman's pass, and down into Park City where the finish line was waiting! It was a fantastically good time, and I highly recommend it to everyone, runner or not!



2 comments:

Linda Hendriksen said...

quite nice photos for a cell phone, i must say! ragnar sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...

Loving it. Astoundingly, you make ragnar sound tempting.